Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cusco, Peru - narrow streets, little people, llots of llamas

I don't know why but I thought Cusco was going to be a seedy little backpacker slum where everyone gears up for Machu Picchu. A sort of Katmandu of Peru. I couldn't have been more wronger.
Here's Angela in Plaza de Armas as night falls on the city. We landed at the airport at 7am, went out and caught a taxi to a little place called Bright Hostal, then took off to explore the city. We went from surf level to just over 11,000 feet in less than 12 hours, not so bueno. We started drinking Coca tea and lots of water, I didn't have any affects but Angela had a splitting headache by bedtime. She slept it off though and has been fine ever since.
There are Llamas and brightly colored people that roam this ancient city and I often stop and can't believe that I am here. Cusco has done an amazing job of holding onto its past, providing an international destination for millions, and packing the streets with delicious cafes, cool bars and textile stores. Two thumbs way up.
This is the second time on the trip I paid for a picture. I cringe to do this but Llamas are much more funny looking in real life and I couldn't resist. And if my hard earned Soles go to people who walked the streets with their families and their Llamas is that such a bad thing? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment