Sunday, December 13, 2009

Got the feeling, power steering, Pistons popping, ain't no stopping now! Panama a a a o o o o

Copa Airlines rescued us from the cesspool that is LAX. What a lame aeropuerto. The only thing good was Alaska Airlines sent me a Boardroom pass so Angela and I kicked back there for 5 hours and had free beers and watery chili- but no free WiFi, what is up with that? SEATAC airport has it going on with swank cafes, massageries and free WiFi. Govmn't ought to mandate that action.

So we touch down in Panama and I hoped they would play Van Halen as we landed, but they didn't so I hummed it while we deplaned. We found a $30 minibus tour that took us to a swank mega mall full of Dolce and Gabanna stuff that was at or slightly above american prices. Weird, but air conditioned which was nice. Then through the middle of the city as the driver rattled off sites of interest, Donald Trump's latest high rise being built and then slum areas not gringo safe. These ladies agreed to pose for $1, I've never paid for a picture before but their stockings had to be documented and I also think they could command crows to peck my eyes out so I figure the $1 was karma donation. So far no crows...And then the Panama Canal viewpoint at Miraflores. For $5 you go to a deck overlooking the canal and it was freaking awesome. A 3,000 passenger cruise ship "Amsterdam" was going through beside an oil tanker "World Harmony" and we got to watch the whole thing and wave at saggy europeans. A few didn't even get out of the deck top pool as their moving city went by. Can't say I blame them.
I believe an oil tanker named World Harmony is about as ironic as I get. Unless of course it rains on your wedding day or you have 10,000 spoons and all you need is a knife, or you meet the man of your dreams and then his beautiful wife. But I digress. It was interesting to learn the cruise ship pays by the berth, not the passenger so their bill was $280,000 USD to pass and the tanker pays by the liter of oil it can hold and so he probably paid a lot too. I think a gajillion USD.
Then we headed back to the Tocumen Airport in Panama City and I thought how cool it was that they sell you a $5 tourist day pass to check things out, really it was worth it. I mean I wouldn't specifically make a layover in Panama, but if you're stuck there, by all means get out and about.

3 comments:

  1. Hot damn that sounds fun. In all this cold and snow, I'd pay $5 to see a saggy European in a speedo right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, John.... you have to get out of the CITY to see the real Panama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed Anonymous- but if you don't post suggestions what am I to do? I certainly don't judge California based on LAX.

    ReplyDelete