Sunday, December 27, 2009

Surfing at Costeno Surf Camp

Angela and I are currently in Santa Marta to heal our sunburns once again. We spent the last 3 days at Costeno Surf Camp and had a great time but our sunblock couldn't handle the wind, water and waves as well as we hoped so the backs of the legs got torched as we learned to surf. Angela got it worse than me so I let the sand flies chew on me for a few hours to make her feel better. I have 17 bites in my right forearm alone. Luckily Alaskan mosquitoes turned my blood to steel long ago and the bites don't itch but it looks like I've been attacked by a forgotten Colombian jungle tribe with serious blowgun skills.To get to the surf camp I experienced the hottest one-hour bus ride of my life. Sweat beaded on my forearms which only happened once before when I got my sauna up to 180F so it's safe to assume the back of this bus was at least that hot. I am also apparently pillowy soft because any Colombian near me on a bus instantly falls asleep on me.
This is Mario the mascot of the surf camp. He is a boxer that turns 1 today. He is very sweet and likes to sleep in the sand.
And this is day 2 of surfing. The water is so hot I actually wished it was cooler once or twice. The black stuff on our faces is zinc oxide, Angela didn't know it but I put hers on in the form of a Zapatista mustache for the day. Her face didn't burn but the backs of her knees sure did.

The surf camp is run by two Canadian brothers and they showed us the theory of how to paddle a board and then they paddled out with us and yelled at us until we caught waves and stood up. It was awesome. Then we ate fried fish and plantains under the palm trees.Now we are trying to figure out the best way to Peru. The Galapagos will have to wait for another trip, it would be too much of a rush job at this point. Of course we could always go back to the surf camp for another month... Such a tough call...

10 comments:

  1. I'm very glad you're enjoying your stay in my counry. I'm going to the costeño surf camp next week and I was wondering if you could tell me how were the accomodations. Thank you very much, I hope you see this message this week... nice trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paloma! They have basic cabanas for 60,000 COP, camping for 12,000 COP and a central shower area with lots of showers. You should bring a tent or call ahead to reserve one, the cabanas will be full I'm sure.
    Have fun, maybe I'll see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I finally caught up with you and it took me thirty minutes to read all the posts and savor the pictures. Now aren't you just having a lot of fun!!!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ninny, glad you're enjoying the posts once again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the black zinc; who knew they made it in such a fashionable color. Surf lessons sound awesome, I'm putting them on my xmas list!

    ps
    Any good bobble heads in the area?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I am considering going to Costeno Surf Camp by March. Do you mind giving me some information? I will go from Cartagena to Tanganga, then to Tayrona Park and finally Costeno surf Camp for 3 days of surf. Did you surf just in Casa grande or made surf trips to other beaches? Are these cabanas confortable? How much do they charge for board rental?

    ReplyDelete
  7. One more thing: 60,000 COP is for person or for a couple in a Cabana? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Marcio,
    The cabana price is per couple, I actually liked camping better. We didn't surf anywhere but Casa Grande but they have a van and will surf other areas if they look better. Board with lesson is 45,000COP, board alone is 30,000COP.

    Have fun, it's a great place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info. By the way, browsing your blog brought me back memories of my trip to Peru in 2006. Lima, Sacred Valley, Cusco, Machu Picchu, Titicaca(wait for the headache...), Arequipa, Nazca...enjoy it! In Lima, if you go back, they rent boards and wetsuits close to Rosa Nautica restaurant, near Larcomar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this place! I love the idea and wish there was a place like this in Astoria, Queens. I am a surfer and found a "real surfer bar" in Point Break NYC. I am kinda jealous ;0PIts filled with surfers, people who like surfers, people who like the beach and people who don't want to live close to town. I really like this place. You know what they have these real Proctor and Channel One surfboards on the wall. It's nice for coming any day of the week and eating a late brunch. The food was outstanding. The brunch and sides were prefect and tasty. It is a perfect "escape" from city living.

    ReplyDelete