Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Thunder, lightning, wind and rain- in Taganga

I just finished watching a lightning storm for 2 hours. It's still going but I had to quit and go get something to eat. It was fantastic. The clouds started building in the late afternoon and by 4:30 heat lightning was lighting up the sky in huge white flashes. As the evening wore on there were a few forked strikes, but mostly it was big blasts of light. I tried to take some pictures but I haven't shot lightning before and didn't have a tripod so I was pretty disappointed in the results. I'll have to google methodology online and hope for another great storm like this one. It was also nice to watch a good lightning storm without worrying about forest fires which is a constant fear in Alaska. Not only is there nothing to worry about here, halfway through it started pouring rain. Angela and I took cover in a little restaurant called Bitacora here in Taganga. It is outrageously delicious in a town of very average food. We have eaten there 3 of the last 4 nights. Tonight I had filet mignon with a bacon and mushroom sauce that melted in my mouth. Angela had vegetarian lasagna and a mojito that was top notch. As you eat here in Taganga people come by and try to sell you jewelry or play music and pass the hat. Everyone is very polite and it doesn't get out of control. There are a lot of beach dogs and their population is growing fast. I think something will have to be done soon. I saw a pack of 9 dogs today and even if they are all just 25 pounds or less, that's a lot of dogs. So Bob Barker, if you are reading spread the word.Tomorrow we are going to a surf spot called Casa Grande about an hour north of here. It's run by some Canadian brothers and they are going to pick us up from our hotel tomorrow morning since they'll be in town. We may spend Christmas there or hike off to a beach somewhere, we'll see. We are currently agonizing over how to get to the Galapagos. There are 19 different ways, none of them are very cheap and there's no good info out there. Unless of course you want to take a cruise and we are weighing the pros and cons of that. We shall see.
I saw a guy the other day with “Time will tell” tattooed across his upper back. I suppose he's right. I also want to leave you with this music video, it's all I hear on the radio in this country and it should be stuck in your head too.

1 comment:

  1. I love the lightning and Angela is a godness in her sarong AND I could have done without Pitbull and his silicone-injected entourage. I also have an idea about the dog problem. Just carry a handful of rubberbands around with you. You know what to do.

    ReplyDelete